Outlook sync not working at all
The Outlook sync is now not working at all for me. I tried retriggering the sync several times, then disconnected the calendar and reconnected a couple of times. I tried clearing history etc. But the outlook sync will not pull any events at all.
Honestly, the sync hasn't been working properly since the sync update a few months ago. I submitted a ticket then and was told to disconnect and reconnect my calendar, which I did. The sync worked for a couple of days, but I haven't seen it automatically pull event updates since Feb or Mar. I've had to manually trigger a sync a few times per week since. But now I can't get any events at all.
We are sorry - today we have expierenced some problems with our calendar queue processor - it has been solved and all items should be processed.